January 12, 2011

How funny...

...life is strange - I have had ups and downs the past couple of months - to the point where interest in anything re: blogging and even decorating at home was moot...Christmas was rather dull and dreary this year. Financial strains meant I didn't get to spoil my Pookie with goodies. I don't even think I baked a cake! :( I cooked a ham, baked some bread that I swear the next day had turned to bricks - and "tried" to make scalloped potatoes (I forgot to add milk!)...grrr...nevertheless, we bought presents for my sweet nephews, no-one else got anything, except my in-laws, who got to go enjoy a nice long weekend in Cayo* (deets on that further below).
Pookie was very upset that he couldn't get me my KitchenAid mixer. I did tell him that my hand mixer is just fine, but men are funny that way - if they can't be the big man and provide, they just feel bereft. He did get me a bottle of yummy Bailey's Irish Cream. I almost think he got it for him as much as for me - we'd both have a "nightcap" - White Russians while watching drivel on TV. Teehee...I even added Bailey's to the mix when I made a him a "get-well-soon-please-cheer-up" tres leches cake.
Only problem with that cake? ummm, anyone who ate some ended up running to the bathroom. haha...three of us survived, but I don't think I will be adding Bailey's to tres leches anytime soon. Maybe a Bailey's whipped cream on top, but not part of the liquid...you live, you learn...
yea, needless to say, cooking for the past couple of months has been touch and go. I guess we all have those weird moments...

Anywhos...so we also had a bit of a confusing time during the holidays, where we thought we were going to move out and take residence elsewhere - we've since ironed out details and it looks like we'll be staying put. Still haven't gotten the bed for the spare room, but I did spend a great afternoon huffing and puffing and installing vinyl flooring in the bathroom.
The floor of the house we're in is super icky - not appealing at all, so the first step was to get the bathroom up to snuff. (Welcome to previously lived-in DFC homes right?) We do have a 'Kohler' toilet, so everything else around it needs to be brought up to par. I have also discovered Tilex. That thing made the tub GLEAMING WHITE. I swear I saw a sparkle (or maybe it was the tear in my eye-ha!).
I saw while reading up on Facebook that having seashells in the home is bad luck. Well, to heck with that. Seashells are fabulous, I have even added a couple in the tiny shower windowsill - along with a pumice stone...every time I look out while showering, I see one of the things I love most...and I feel so happy to have a place to stay in, in a location that is near and dear to my heart...I may not make it to the beach often (though with my new bike, I may just) - so any reminder of what a gorgeous place I live in is good I say! :)
This picture was up by Grand Belizean Estates. Say what you want about the development. It sure beats the heck out of San Pedrito, San Mateo and DFC. I am hopeful there will still be some property available when I'm out of debt by the end of this year so I can buy a piece for me too!

Speaking of gorgeous places. I have always maintained that when I retire, hopefully after I get a million dollar book deal (teehee), I will have a place in the Cayo District. Maybe not necessarily in my old village (too many memories) - but I envision a fabulous little hideaway with all the creature comforts I DON'T have right now! =) My mother-in-law (MIL) pines for Cayo as well...so for Christmas, the kids had all planned to put $$ together to send them off for a weekend. Well, we all know best laid plans usually go awry, and luckily, Pookie came into some spare cash and with a little bit from my account and the kids last-minute creative financing, we got to send them off on their merry way.

How funny motherhood is...I know nothing of it, but I do have a very maternal affection for Pookie's little brothers and sisters and nephews...MIL was worried that her son who was on the island from college would starve while she was gone. After promising to feed her brood on Sunday before she got home on Monday, she went off. And I had to stick to my promise.
I made burgers...I think they're still digesting them!!

Burgers a la Pookie

2 parts meat: 1lb ground steak, 1lb ground beef
teriyaki sauce - I use at least 3tbps of the stuff
soy sauce - 1.5 tbsp
finely minced garlic (if you have a garlic press, even better)
finely minced onion (or grate it into meat)
grill seasoning for steaks
fresh cracked black pepper
1 slightly beaten egg
squeeze of lime
1 tsp complete seasoning (you're already using salty soy)

filling:
diced pepperoncini (greek peppers) & cubes of pepper jack cheese (though any cheese will do...mmm, blue cheese would be good!!

With bare hands, mix and incorporate all ingredients. Don't overmix.
form four round balls (yes, I make them HUGE)
make a hollow indentation and place some diced pepperoncini and few cubes of cheese.
roll and form a nice patty, so that the filling stays inside meat, then flatten to thick disks
repeat with remaining meat mixture

heat about a teaspoon of olive oil (or canola) in a heavy bottomed frying pan, and when good and hot, place patties and let sizzle and caramelize. Don't move around, let it brown nicely (without pressing down on it either)!! After about 2 minutes on one side, flip gently and let sizzle and cook for another 2-3 minutes ...
at the last minute of cooking, place sliced cheese on meat and the heat will make it yummy and melty...

I like to slice big thick onion rounds and quickly saute it with a dash of soy sauce in a hot pan. This caramelized onion goes on top of the melted cheese, and then of course, the usual, lettuce, tomatoes, and if you're really looking to keel over from a heart attack, throw in some crispy bacon slices and avocado!!

place cooked meat on toasted sesame bun, slathered with your favorite condiments, and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment